The NIH is recognized world-wide as a leading biomedical research institution. The NIAMS is the leading research institution to support research into the causes, treatment, and prevention of arthritis and musculoskeletal and skin diseases; the training of basic and clinical scientists to carry out this research; and the dissemination of information on research progress in these diseases.
Significant advances in understanding these disease processes and developing new ways to treat and prevent them can only come from exceptionally talented researchers who pursue challenging questions.
Be part of the talented team of researchers and administrators who work together to advance biomedical research and promote our health.
Why Work at the NIAMS?
The special features of the NIAMS IRP research environment allow our intramural scientists to engage in innovative science and pursue paths that may lead to major advances in our basic knowledge and clinical abilities. The significant uniqueness of the IRP includes:
- Long-term investment: relatively long-term stable funding, which allows scientists to undertake research with a potentially high payoff but a long germination period.
- Teamwork: a critical mass of researchers who can interact collaboratively to assemble teams to attack complex problems.
- Resources: the ability to purchase major capital equipment and create facilities with short notice.
- Short start-up: short start-up time to address urgent problems in public health and to develop newly emerging scientific fields.
- Clinical research: a premier clinical research facility in the country for conducting innovative research that takes basic science from "Bench to Bedside".
- Capitalize on the special features of the NIAMS intramural program.
- Join our team and make it to the top!
For descriptive information on programs and appointment mechanisms, contact the Career Development and Outreach Branch for more information.
Find scientific and clinical positions at NIAMS.
Search the database of all open employment opportunities within the Federal government.
Tenure and Tenure-Track Opportunities
Pursue a fully-funded position with outstanding resources to conduct an independent research program within the scope of the NIAMS' mission.
Tenure and Tenure-Track Positions
Learn about the NIAMS tenure and tenure-track program.
Research Training Opportunities
Find an array of research training opportunities for students, postdoctoral, and clinical scientists.
Education and Training In Our Labs
See the many programs and services the NIAMS has to offer to advance your education and training.
Postdoctoral Opportunities at NIH
Find a list of all current postdoctoral research training opportunities available at the NIH.
NIH Loan Repayment Programs
Get information about loan support in exchange for working at the NIH.